Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

The history of Germany is fascinating and I haven't even been to but one city here yet!

I was reading online last night and learned that the town I am currently in, Wurzburg, was almost completely destroyed at the end of WWII. Something like 82% of the city was destroyed by bombs from the British Royal Air Force. WOW.

It is crazy to read, but even crazier to be standing in the middle of a site like that and reading about it. When you think about it, that truly wasn't very long ago. It is kind of scary to me to think about, actually. With the world seeming to get crazier and more advanced with weapons and technology, the next World War, God hope there is never one, would potentially wipe out earth as we know it. Could you imagine the power struggles between countries with atomic weapons? It seems that the news gets crazier and more depressing each day. What is happening to people?? Very sad and scary to think about.

I read this quote from Albert Einstein, and it really got my brain spinning, "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Hmph. Seems that he was not far from the truth, most likely.

Looking forward to exploring Germany and its history in my time here. There is so much to see and it feels surreal. I am looking forward to visiting a concentraion camp, but at the same time I am not looking forward to it. It is hard to believe things like that happened and I think it will completely creep me out to walk through. But, it is history, like it or not.

Anyway, there are my random thoughts of the morning.
 

1 comment: