Friday, September 21, 2012

"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Scott Cameron

One of the most beautiful views in Wurzburg is from Festung Marienberg, also known as Marienburg Fortress. It sits at the top of a hill overlooking the town. Ashley and I went there and toured the museum, wandered the grounds, and gawked at the amazing views. You could spend a half a day there, just wandering. The garden would be a great place to take a book and just read on a pretty day!


Another great stop was the Market Square. We had a yummy lunch outside here and afterwards shopped in the market a bit. I bought some delicious hunny and a rhubarb juice which I still need to try! The square has beautiful views of buildings, and we had a fun accordion player as we ate lunch. Something about sitting outside and listening to someone play music just makes it feel like vacation. Below is Marien Chapel, (Marienkapelle), which is right in the market square area. See what I mean by amazing views??
Another stop I loved was Alter Kranen, a yummy beer garden right off the riverside. We went here for dinner and I had a beer mixed with lemonade and a delicious German roast with horseradish, cranberries, and potatoes. Was pretty delicious! My friend Kris drove out and came to dinner with us too!

And, of course I can't leave out one of the most fun-and stressful-stops....the dirndl store!! The store we went to has handmade dirndls that are high quality, unique, and traditional. We went to several stores in search of the perfect dirndl, but ended up back at this store. The shopping part was crazy!

First, I chose 2 to try on. The German lady that ran the shop brought me to a dressing room with a curtain that only half closed....hello shoppers! So, as I'm trying on the blouse and dress, she keeps opening the curtain to help me. She basically wanted to dress me. The first one I tried on was less than impressive and too big. So then the chaos began....

Before I knew it I had 4 German shop workers surrounding me in my little corner, handing me dirndls and blouses, dressing me, putting necklaces and purses on me, tightening my dress, blahblahblahblahblah....and all talking to me in German! WHAT! I swear I started sweating I got so stressed out. But, finally, they put me in one that I loved! It is a little  more expensive that I originally wanted, but it is beautifully detailed and traditional. It will make for a special keepsake....after it attends OKTOBERFEST IN MUNICH!!! I am so excited for that this coming week!
Today we are heading to the Residenz and tonight we are going to the brewery for a festival and drindl fashion show! Should be another great day in Wurzburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment