Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany....can I really describe it in a blog??

I have done SO MUCH in the past week that I haven't had time or Internet access to blog about!! I am having an AMAZING time in Germany! First let's skip to the big event that I had been counting down the months, weeks, days, seconds for.....OKTOBERFEST IN MUNICH!! Woooooo!

Ashley & I decided to take the train from Wurzburg to Munich and stay the night at her friend Nadin's house. We got up early, got dressed up in our dirndls, packed up, and.....in true Ashley/Holly fashion....we missed our train. So we ended up having to take a slower train that we had to switch on. Took twice as long, but, we made it! Nadin got us at the train station and we ditched our bags and headed out for some schnitzel & potatoes before the big par-tay. YUM! I am in love with German food. But, the empty calories and loads of carbs I'm consuming here are not cute on my belly!

Just the walk from the tram into Oktoberfest got me even more excited for what was to come!! Hundreds, no, thousands of people were piling in or (somewhat) walking out. I loved seeing all of the lederhosen and dirndls, pretzels and brats, cookies and beers....what culture! So exciting!
Nadin, Ashley, & me...we made it! Did you know that the way you tie your apron shows your status? Tied on the right means you are married or have a boyfriend. The left means you are single. The back means you are a widow....or a waitress (odd match, right?!).
 

When we went inside, the tents were out of control! Thousands of people in each one and not a free seat to be seen. Everybody was drinking and eating and singing...just an amazing time everywhere you looked! We went on a table hunt. After about 4 tents we decided on a few seats we found right outside of a tent. We shared it with a group of guys from Denmark who ended up being a blast that night. The people were so fun and friendly...it's amazing how a day of yummy food and drinks can bring strangers together :)
 I've officially tasted some of the best beer in the world! The beers are HUGE and the waiters & waitresses carry 6 or 7 at a time! The waitstaff weaves in and out of the crowd with tons of liters of beer and huge trays of food! They will just push you out of the way. It is really something to see! Nadin told me the tents are family owned-you can't get hired onto the waitstaff & there is so much money to be made that they keep it within the family. Apparently the tents usually bring in more than 10,000 euros in tips! WOW! I keep trying to find more info on that; I'm curious to see the actual numbers but I am sure it is astonishing.
 Met Ryan in Bahrain & got to meet up with him in Germany----how cool is that?!
Do what the locals do, right? Having a GREAT time!! 
The whole day/night was everything amazing that I hoped it would be and then some. It is so surreal to be in a place with such an deep rooted culture that people by the millions participate in. And not just participate, but go all out! I've never seen a party like this before! If you ever get the opportunity to go to Germany for Oktoberfest....DO IT! I definitely plan to come back one day. But, if you don't have a place to stay then you may want to consider booking your hotel a year in advance....this city is PACKED!
 I was SO excited that I got a famous heart shaped gingerbread cookie!
 View from the roller coaster. Everything you can imagine is at this giant party....bratwursts, warm nuts, pretzels, beer, candy, trays upon trays of food....oh I could go on and on!
Inside one of the HUGE tents. Thousands of people in each one. Unless you get there at 7am or have a reservation....you're not gettin a seat!
I have millions of stories from Oktoberfest....I think I could go on and on about how much fun I had, how many really cool people I have met, and how simply incredible the food, drinks, and atmosphere are. But....I feel like I should save that for a rainy day to reminisce and relive the awesome that is the real Oktoberfest!
 
I have fallen in love with Germany for sure! I have met some really amazing friends along the way as well. I know Ashley and I will stay in touch-we hit it off right away. And how could we not...we got the Kappa thing, so of course she was going to be nothing short of fabulous :)
 
I'm currently staying with Anna, her husband Martin, and their adorable son Maximillian. Beth put me in touch with Anna and she and her family have been WONDERFUL to me!! I can see why Beth loves Anna so much. Today we went on a bus tour of Munich, had the best ice cream & berries before watching the Marienplatz and the chimes/Bavarian dancing figures, took a beautiful walk by the sea, and then....Anna and Martin gave me a YUMMY Bavarian dinner :) (They totally take care of me when it comes to trying traditional foods!)
 
For dinner we had white sausage with sweet mustard, pretzels, and of course a refreshing local beer. It is great fun for me to talk to Anna and Martin. They have made me feel so comfortable and welcome. Their son Max is 3 years old and pretty much adorable. I like to play with him and he reminds me of my nephew so it is extra nice to have him around :)
 
Okay, I am off for now. I am exhausted!! Tomorrow morning I am heading to Dachau Concentration Camp. Here's a quick preview from gogermany.com : "The concentration camp of Dachau, 10 miles northwest of Munich, was one of the first concentration camps in Nazi Germany and would serve as a model for all subsequent camps in the Third Reich. Dachau visitors follow the "path of the prisoner", walking the same way prisoners were forced to after their arrival in the camp. You will see the original prisoner baths, barracks, courtyards, and the crematorium, as well as an extensive exhibition and various memorials."
 
SO SO SO many more stories to come! Adios for now xoxo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment