Wednesday, September 12, 2012

This just in: I survived! And other breaking stories....

WHEW! I survived the subway solo! Felt like a mini victory in my heart. I'm still terrified of getting used to it and getting lost...but...it was a start. Gotta start somewhere, right?? (If you're lost on this topic, read the mini breakdown one blog post below. I had a severe moment-yikes!)

Tomorrow I head to the central train station to pick up my train ticket to Germany. I am hoping to head to Wurzburg on Saturday morning. Supposed to be a 30+ hour train ride from Stockholm, so should be an adventure! I am so excited to get to meet Ashley, a sweet Kappa that I met using the KKG alum website. Her and her husband live in Germany and I can't wait for the fun to come and to have a friendly face I can relate to!

To backtrack a bit, I'll catch you up on a few days from Bahrain. Well, we finally went to the camel farm. There are 600 camels living there! The King owns the camel farm, and I wish they would put more money into it. Many of the camels are just chained to a post, lying there in the heat. Makes me sad.
We got to see some baby camels and I got to get on a preggo camel! Why they picked an irritated preggo camel, I do not understand! The first time I tried to sit on her, she freaked out and I went running for my life! Naomi & Amanda were dying laughing, and I thought I was going to be traumatized. In my defense-neither of them would get on her, so I am somewhat brave :) I decided to try again, and she let me. Was pretty neat. However, didn't feel very safe because the little guy telling me to get on also said she was nice, (which she was not), and also said camels don't hurt you, (before telling us to stay away because they will kick you & are dangerous). Little bit of safety tips lost in translation there. Overall, camel farm was super fun to go to and pretty much made my day.
 Preggo mamma camel!
Going in for the kiss...scared it was going to spit on me!
Babies!
We also went to the mosque. This was an AMAZING experience and we learned so much! Our sweet tour guide was so excited to teach us. The Grand Mosque is one of the largest in the area. The entire thing is built with materials from around the world. The pictures don't really do it justice, or maybe it was just the feeling I had that I was actually standing in such a different part of the world that made it so beautiful to me.
We had to get dressed in the abaya and take off our shoes before entering the mosque. Upon leaving, they asked us to wear the abayas to the car so we did not offend those coming in for prayer....(ouch?!). Inside is beautiful as well. Our sweet guide taught us about the Qur'an. It is recited like a song and she sang a sample for us....amazing! Beautiful & moving! Even if you don't agree with the beliefs, you can't deny that much!
The lines along the floor of the inside of the mosque are so everyone stands straight together, shoulder to shoulder, even if it is not crowded. Women pray upstairs and men pray downstairs. Our guide told us that because they bend down to pray, this keeps the men focused on prayer instead of thoughts of women.
There is so much more to tell, but I don't have the time or energy to keep typing tonight! I found my trip to the mosque extremely interesting and loved learning more of the Muslim culture. I think you learn to respect others more when you take the time to learn where they come from and what they are all about. Our sweet guide gave me some amazing books to take home so I could learn more. Amazing experience for sure!

Having a wonderful time learning and experiencing. My journal is already almost full. I can't wait to see what else is in store for me. I'm having my first terrified-out-of-my-mind-but-crazy-overwhelmed-with-excitement feelings since I left the DFW airport. Ahhh!!

PS, may I please have $160 from SOMEONE so I can phone psychic Suzy to make sure I make it out of this journey alive?!?!?

HOOT!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment