Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dirk's Stomping Grounds!

Whew...made it to Germany! It took me just barely over 24 hours and 4 trains to get here. I had so much time to do nothing that I wrote, wrote, wrote in my journal! There are things I LOVED about traveling alone by train.........and things that I HATED!!

I have my backpack full...a whopping 24 pounds to get me through the next 2.5 months of my life! I left Stockholm on Saturday morning with nothing but my backpack and a bag of snacks with my journal and maps. CRAZY!!



At first I was in LOVE with the trains. Amazingly amazing views and the soft, swishing sound of the train zooming down the tracks was so peaceful and relaxing. I just stared out the window, thought lots of thoughts, wrote in my journal, and enjoyed my packed picnic. I was loving it!
 Loved the views!
Crossing the Copenhagen bridge
The night train was another story! Talk about creepy! First of all, it was NOT like the cute, fun, have your own space pictures on the websites. My cabin was packed FULL of 6 people...none of who spoke more than a bit of English. This cabin was the tiniest place I'd ever seen! 3 bunk beds come out of each wall with about 2.5 feet of height between them. In between was our pile of luggage. No ladder to climb up to your bunk even. If you laid in the middle of the floor with your arms spread wide, you would just be a few inches short of touching each wall. And I was on this thing from 5:30 at night to 6:30 in the morning!

Hard to see, but windows open all night and feels creepy at stops, but the sound is so relaxing!

Also, people get on and off during the night so I would wake up and someone new would be climbing into bed. Creepy! I had to leave my bag on the floor pile, and I slept wearing my purse. Actually, slept is a generous word. I dozed in and out. No light, no one to talk to, no wifi, NOTHING to do. And if you never thought trains in the middle of the night were creepy....let me tell you....they are!! This is nothing like I've ever done before! I usually pack way too many suitcases, I hate being alone, I'm scared of creepy people, I packed my food for 24 hours.....................and I survived :) 4 trains later, I got to Wurzburg, Germany. ON. MY. OWN. Man, those words feel good to write! And, I'd totally ride another creepy night train.
Finally in Frankfurt...1 more train to go!
I won't retype my journal, but let's just say at points I was terrified, excited, lonely, aggravated, overtired, relaxed, exhausted, insecure, frustrated, uneasy.....basically, it was a back and forth roller coaster. When my last train was over an hour late due to technical difficulties, I was overtired and frustrated and hopped on another one trying to ask my way around and getting answers in very broken, uncertain English. I can't tell you how happy I was when I heard the conductor announce the next stop was WURZBURG!! I got off and saw Ashley waiting right there, as expected. Such a feeling of relief that I not only DID IT, (I got there!), but also I had a friendly face waiting for me at the other side.

Ashley is amazingly sweet. I am so glad I met her through Kappa Connections. Tonight we went to watch her husband's basketball game. Was a blast! Proud to say my first stop on Dirk's homeland was to watch some pro basketball! Was a fun treat, for sure! They played Holland and beat them, woo hoo! Ashley's husband Chris was the lead scorer, (had to get that little brag in for him!). Was fun to get to sit with the basketball wives of Wurzburg, Germany hehe. After the game we joined the team for dinner. Now, Ashley & Chris are out with the team and I *gasp* stayed in. I know, I know...not like me to deny a night out! But, after my 24 hour journey to get here, my body is begging for a real night's sleep in a real bed.

Looking forward to heading to the shops tomorrow in search of a dirndl for Oktoberfest. Now, to catch some much needed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's! Night y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! After this, everything you do will be a piece of cake, right?

    I told Matt you were now traveling alone, and he's all nervous for you, imagining a "Taken" scenario. Just so you know, we will rescue you should that happen, according to him. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank ya! I think it will get easier each day. Should be a pro come November ;) I get that Taken thing a lot, or "Dude, have you seen Hostel?". Good to know I have some rescuerers should I need them :D

    ReplyDelete