Friday, September 14, 2012

Next stop: Germany!

I officially have my train tickets to get from Stockholm to Wurzburg, Germany! Woo Hoo!

I am a bit nervous...it's about a 24 hour journey solo and my first attempt at a train for a long distance. I was just starting to even get comfortable with the idea of taking the trains around one city, much less across countries!

So the plan is this: I leave Stockholm tomorrow morning and head to Copenhagen. It's about a 5 hour train ride. I have a good seat though: sitting in a single seat next to a window in first class. I should get a good view when I cross the bridge in Copenhagen-should make for some pretty pictures! My question: How do I even get up to use the restroom...do I have to take my bag with me? It's huge. But it has my whole life for the next 2.5 months in it. Hmmmm. Things only I would worry about in advance, I'm sure.

Then, I have about 3 hours to get lost in the Copenhagen train station while I wait for my next ride. I am extremely nervous about finding my train! It seems to be basically like an airport, so I think I will be able to find the track. But, once I get there...how do I know which car to get into??? The train doesn't stop for long, so I have to be ready to go. AHHHH! Nerves!!

So, hoping that I find my next train, I will be on an overnight trip headed to Frankfurt. For this ride, I am in a bunk bed cabin with 5 random roommates for the night. Should be interesting!! I'm hoping somebody I meet will also be getting off at Frankfurt, considering they do not wake you when it is your stop! MORE NERVES!! AHHHH!

So, in the morning when I hop off at Frankfurt, I wait about 20 minutes for my next train, which will take me to Wurzburg. This one is only about 30 minutes long, (2nd stop), so I don't have a specific seat for this ride. Hopefully I at least find *A* seat, because my backpack is already killing me!!!

Which is another story....how in the world am I supposed to pack for 2.5 months in ONE backpack?? I took out everything I possibly could and that sucker is still like 25lbs! I am down to 3 pair of pants, one dress, a handful of shirts, a jacket....wait...I think I need to go take some clothes out now. But, I just hate the idea of wearing the same 2 or 3 outfits over and over and over for....over 2 MONTHS?!? I am not going to be cute on this trip at all!! I guess that wouldn't be so bad if I had friends backpacking with me and we were all in the same boat. But, I will be staying quite a bit with families who will be dressed decently...not like backpacking bums with 2 outfits....we will see how this goes. I have a feeling I will be throwing out most of these clothes along the way. I have already thrown out one hairdryer, 2 pair of shoes, 2 dresses, and 1 shirt. Surprising for me!!

Okay, I am off to continue my panic attack now and try to unpack and pack my bag once again. *Sigh* Feels lonely today. The reality of being alone is setting in and I don't like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment