Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chai Tea & Belly Dancing

Amanda, Amy and I headed to the Souk for some shopping the other evening. It was great fun looking for some traditional clothes to send back to my neices and nephew :)

There is a little bitty alley way where the older men sit together in the evenings and have tea or coffee. We were obviously the odd ones out...not men...not in traditional clothing...and clearly foreigners. I think they were a little surprised, maybe bugged even by our appearance, but when in our lives will we ever again have the chance to sit at a hole in the wall tea shop in the Middle East? My answer was "probably never"....so we went for it.

 
We sat down on the bench and this little old man came to take our order. We ordered three chai teas with mint. We got three chai teas with loads of MILK. Oh well, he got the "mmm" sound :) The tea was DELICIOUS! Here we are:
 
We asked the man to take this picture and he asked his friend to do it instead. He was precious! He was holding the camera facing himself ready to take the picture. He spoke no English, and we were trying to show him to turn the camera around. We showed him how to do it and he was so happy he asked to take a picture with us. I took the one below and he wanted us to print it and bring him a copy. So sweet! We will have to stop back by sometime with the picture for him!
When you travel, this is the kind of thing you NEED to do. Stop in where the locals are. Be a total outcast. Experience things the tour books would never send you to experience. I have found the people here to be very welcoming & excited to visit with you.
 
Before I head off the internet, I have to tell you about one more thing you MUST try.....BELLY DANCING CLASS! Ahhhh-mazing fun! No pictures of this one yet, sorry to say. Amanda, Amy and I had a great time learning how to belly dance. We even learned an entire choreographed dance :) I have to say my favorite part was when the music goes really fast and the instructor wants you to shake so much you think your bum is going to fall off. She came over to us and literally grabbed our legs and says "more! more!" Amanda and I were laughing so hard I thought I was going to fall over. I have a real belly dancing skirt, coins and all, courtesy of Amanda's visit to Egypt. Looking forward to getting back to Tejas and teaching my mamma the moves :)
 
Oh! Almost forgot....I need to give a shout out to the Navy boys reading my blog....HOWDY!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment