Thursday, August 23, 2012

Camels and tanks and first class...oh my!

WOW! So, I've been a bit busy to blog the past few days so I have some catching up to do. I'd definitely say that Ramadan ending has shown me a completely different view of this little Bahrain joint. My days and nights are completely backwards and I think I've gained 30 pounds from the outrageous amounts of food we've been consuming!

Where to start? I guess on the subject of food we can discuss my new favorite feast....the shawarma. Mmmm. At first this was described to me as the best "2am food", but no. This thing is my new favorite anytime of the day food. The shawarma is basically like a wrap, but with that fresh shaved chicken or beef, (or lamb or whatever else). I have discovered my favorite is chicken with potatoes made spicy. MMMMMM! Delicious! You must try one of these if you ever find yourself in the Middle East :)





We have spent the days of Eid, (the days marking the end of Ramadan and fasting), "celebrating" the little things like being able to eat out in the middle of the day, being able to have a drink at night, and having businesses open to go be social at! We are no longer cooped up in Amanda's loft. Hooray!



Going out here has been an AdVeNtUrE! My first and favorite thing is that there is always a "ladies night" where ladies can drink for fuh-reeeee! Tastes better that way. And when the ladies night ends, there is no shortage of creepsters lurking around just dying to buy you a drink. Muah. Love it. We have spent the past three nights in a row sleeping all day and having far too much fun together at night.



There has been quite a bit of a crowd and extra traffic around here lately. I have learned that for things like Eid or weekends, many men from Saudi Arabia come to Bahrain looking to party. The rules and whatnot are not quite as strict, so they make the drive over here to let loose.

 
Apparently the Arabic boys would just love to find a foreign wifey. Amanda and I have been having a blast keeping track of all of the outrageous items we get offered on a typical night out. Some of my favorites include a new cell phone, first class plane tickets, camel rides, and free bar tabs. Silly boys.


We have also been loving getting our nails done; it's SO cheap here! I'm enjoying sitting out at the pool with Amanda and Amy as well. The FABULOUS thing about the pools here is that there are women only pools, which, what girl wouldn't love having as an option?!

Tomorrow I head to the US Embassy to apply for my Visa to be extended. Cross your fingers that it works out, because otherwise my plane ticket will be crazy expensive to change....not to mention I will only have until Monday to get outta here :(  Time is flying by. I am having far too much fun enjoying time with my old college roomie and getting to see things so far from life in Texas. I'm definitely not ready to leave yet!

More stories to come soon. I'm drained and ready to get some sleep! Goodnight friends :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment