Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gobble Gobble...I'm in Turkey!

Well, getting to Instanbul has been quite the adventure & culture shock!

First, at the airport in Sweden, I waited for my gate to open. When they announced that the gate was opened, I had to wait in line with my boarding pass and passport to get into the next waiting area. While in there, lots of people tried asking me questions and it was a weird experience to have no idea what they were saying! It was craziness waiting to board. There were a lot of us in one room and not enough seats as we waited. Finally, an older business man sat down next to me and started talking to me in his best attempt at english. He was telling me that he lives in Turkey and he gave me some tips for how to survive...which came  in handy!!

First, when they announced they were starting to board, the man stood up and said "Stick with me". I looked at my pass and said "I'm in Group B". He told me, "Oh no, the lining up system does not work here. Go with the flow or you'll be lost in line forever." And boy was that true! Groups meant nothing for boarding...neither did the fact that you are in line. People would just come out of no where and walk right infront of you! This happened everywhere in today's journey for me: at the airport, in "line" for the restrooms, buying dinner....it was frustrating! I had to put on my fierce face and push my way in line or I'd never get what I needed ;)

On the plane was...interesting! I was one of the first ones on the plane and I had my phone in my hand just checking the time. The woman in the seat next to me was rambling on and on angrily to me in Turkish (I think). I told her "Sorry" because I had no idea what she was saying. She pulled her phone out and showed me turning it off and then pointed at mine, continuing to lecture me in Turkish, and pointed at my phone. She REALLY wanted my phone off! Which was annoying, because it didn't need to be. But whatever, I turned it off and looked to my right and what do I see?? Two big ole boobies....AHHH! What? The lady next to me had her shirt all the way up just feeding her baby. Come again? Uncomfortable flight from the start! Later that baby was puking all over...it was a long flight to Instanbul! And I made the Turkish lady mad at me one more time when she offered to share her water with me....from her glass...and I said no thank you. I guess she really wanted me to drink the rest of her water??

The airport in Instanbul was not my favorite. I had a 5 1/2 hour layover. Everything was pretty messy. The bathroom floors were covered in trash, there were not enough seats for the TONS of people waiting. The airport was super crowded. Not to mention getting to my connecting terminal was fun because none of the workers spoke English to help me find my way. But, I did and it was b-o-r-i-n-g. No wifi, nothing to do. I watched a movie on my laptop, ate a slice of pizza, and slept on the floor. Joy!

Next stop: Bahrain at about 2am!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an experience! Your story is great...I could picture it :) In fact, did you get any pics of it? Did you take your Turkish woman friend's picture on the plane? Ha!

    Love you,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely an experience! I wish I took a picture but I was scared haha! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete