Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Welcome to....Bahrain!

I'm HERE!! So...to pick up where I left off on the last blog....

My next flight from Istanbul to Bahrain was equally annoying. Probably the fact that it was the middle of the night didn't help my aggitation :) Getting onto the plane was the same kind of crowd...no real "line" system. But after a 5 1/2 hour layover I was just excited to get on the plane and catch some zzzzz's.

Turkish Airlines was actually pretty nice. Pretty good amount of space for coach and friendly staff. The food on the first flight wasn't bad. But the dinner on the second flight.....*SHIVERS*....uhhh! I was served salmon on top of ~something~, spinach?, and chicken skewer on rice with "Arabic herbs". It was....questionable...to say the least. Every bite I tried I had to wash down with a Milk Dud (Thank you sister!). Not the best meal I've had. But I did enjoy that you can have Turkish beers and hot bread! Saving Grace for dinner!

I was super excited that no one was seated next to me for this flight. Maybe no one wanted to sit next to the only person with blonde hair on the airplane?? But, it was going to be perfect to sprawl out and get some sleep! Perfect until....the family behind me!! AHH! *Cue horror film music here*

I got no sleep. But luckily I was so excited to see Amanda I got wired! Before I knew it, it was 2am and I was landing in-------------BAHRAIN!

Getting through customs was tough. They REALLY questioned me, (even though I have a visa), and asked me 5 million questions. It actually made me nervous that they might deny me!

Luckily my bag was already waiting for me once I got through customs. I grabbed it and was going really fast towards to exit to meet Amanda. Once I turned the corner and we saw each other we both went running like a movie....but I HAVE to be the awkward one and lost my shoe/stumbled over my suitcase. I think all of the Arabic folks completely covered in their traditional attire found it amusing to see two overly excited American girls causing a slight scene. Which was one of the first things I learned when getting off the plane: I am the one that is VERY different here. Lots of stares and "what in the world are you doing in Bahrain" looks ;)

When we got outside it was like stepping into a sauna after being in Sweden for 2 weeks. Ahhhh....feels like home! Amanda and I finally went to sleep around 4am. It is so exciting to be here!! It almost feels like we are back in Denton. Except we are on the other side of the world. In the desert. The odd ones out. It's going to be an amazing adventure here!!

Tonight we have plans on the VIP list for a rugby bar....That's right....I'm on a VIP list-----IN BAHRAIN!! This should be interesting! Stay tuned ;)

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to hear more about the family behind you! ;-) So glad the candy is coming in handy...as I knew it would! I feel you about that salmon...yuk! Can't wait for the pics of Bahrain! Very curious!

    XOXO!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now a true world traveler! You have had some interesting experiences and I know you won't forget the trip. We are such rule followers! I hate the breaking in line thing too. I guess once a teacher always a teacher. Have fun and learn a lot about Bahrain! Be careful and have fun! Love you lots!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna hear about the family behind you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OY! I'm not even sure where to start on that one. They were LOUD, kicked my seat lots, kept turning the lights on and off on and off, let their kids walk up and down the aisles and peek in your face to see if you're sleeping, had 10 million bags-WHICH they put on top of my seat and in the aisle and kindly let me wait for them while they got off the plane before me (they were an aisle behind me)....ohhhh that's only the tip of the iceberg!

    ReplyDelete