Friday, October 26, 2012

Laundromats: Good for more than just meeting your average, run of the mill bum.

Hello Bloggers!

I know I have SO MUCH catching up to do on this thing! I just spent an AMAZING week in Paris with my fabulous mama. Saw so much, got spoiled, enjoyed her company, (even if it did make me homesick for the first real time in 3 months!) I've spent the past couple of nights waiting to get out of here. France has been on a train strike so even though Mom left....I wasn't goin anywhere :(

By now I'm sure most of you heard about my terrifying run in with the bum at the laundromat. So glad to say I got away safe and sound. But, let's put a positive spin on the Paris laundromat...

BEFORE the scary encounter, the laundromat was a pretty hoppin' place. There was a group of 3 guys in there and I was relieved to hear them chatting in English because I couldn't read the washer directions of how to pay/get detergent for the life of me.

They were super nice guys: lent me some detergent, showed me how to work everything and then we got to chatting. Turns out they were in Paris because they are in a band from New York City and are currently on tour in France. They were really down to earth and fun to chat with. At the end they invited me out to one of their shows later in the week. My mom and I love live music so I thought "why not!?" and had the guys put their info into my notebook. I borrowed this pic from the website that their show was at, La Maroquinerie:
When Mom got into town of course she said we could go. We had to take a taxi and it was quite the drive away. We finally arrived at a little restaurant tucked away in a big building. I saw the band guys, but no stage in sight. I said hello to one of the guys and introduced him to Mom. He had to go get ready for the show, so we said we'd see him inside. Turns out, the show was downstairs in a cool little venue called La Maroquinerie. It reminded me of The Palladium in Dallas, (for those of you back home that like live music as well). Tickets were actually expensive...where was our "I met you at the laundromat, that earns me a free ticket" ticket?? We were thinking...this better be worth it!
We got our tickets and went downstairs. Then we realized we were almost out of cash and still needed to get a cab alllllll the way back to the hotel! Oops! (And THAT, my friends, turns into an entirely different story about the time we had to get out of the cab because we ran out of cash and none of the ATMs on the way home worked either. SIGH. Always an adventure!) Okay, back on track. So, of course the bar was cash only so Mom and I got a laugh out of me pouring my pence onto the counter to see what I could get. It was official: I could afford one shot of the cheapest, most  ghetto beer they had. Mmmm. This gave me and Mom a good giggle. Once my thirst was quenched, we were ready for the show.
 
They were actually pretty good! Mom and I LOVE live music, so of course we had fun at the show. It was really fun to get to see a concert in the middle of Paris with a band full of guys I met randomly. Another experience I never would have had if I wasn't putting myself out there and meeting anyone I could, (that's a tip/hint/nudge to fellow backpackers!!). Mom and I had a great time together at the show. Here's a little video I took during their concert:
Lots of amazing stories and adventures to share. Can't believe I'm down to just 3 more weeks until I'm back in Texas!!! I know I will be bored out of my mind once I get home, but since Mom left I am realllllllly craving seeing my family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment