Monday, October 15, 2012

Flashback to Prague: A few Must Do's if you visit!

Since I don't always have a ton of time to blog, I have to do some catch up as I go. So, let's flash back to Prague for a bit so I can share with you a couple of my favorite things I did here!

My first favorite "must see" is the changing of the guards at Prague Castle. You need to go at noon to see the big ceremony. Supposedly, this is one of the most elaborate Changing of the Guard ceremonies in Europe. The castle itself is a sight to see, too. We bought tickets to go into most of the castle features, meaning, we didn't even cover the whole thing. You could easily spend a full day here. I tried my best to get a couple videos of the changing of the guard. As you can tell, it attracts a massive crowd, so go early for the best views!
While wandering around the castle grounds, Carmen and I saw a sign for a concert in the castle. We stopped to check it out and saw that it happens at 1 o'clock...it was like 12:58! So, we rushed inside and bought tickets. This was SUCH a lucky find and ended up being one of my favorite things I got to do in Prague! It was about an hour long concert with three members of the philharmonic orchestra. They played classic songs from around the world and they were AMAZING!!! We were probably the only people under 70 in there, but it was ohmyword wonderful! If you go, do not buy the expensive seats unless you want to be front row. There are only about 100 seats total inside, so all seats were good ones. In fact, since we snuck in a minute late, we were in the very last row and had no problems at all with that. If you go to Prague Castle...do the concert! I loved it & recommend it ten times over! You can click below to see a quick video I took of the concert :)
Another stop I highly recommend in Prague is going by to see the Astronomical Clock!
This was built in 1410 and get this.....it still works! I would explain this clock to you, but....there are so many features to it and details that it would take me forever, AND I found that reading up on it yourself made it that much neater to stare at in person. Read about the Prague Astronomical Clock and then GO SEE IT! So fascinating!
Of course, you need to go to the Charles Bridge for some amazing views and cute little market shops along the way. But, DON'T....I repeat DON'T....waste your money on the boat tour! As I said in my previous Prague blog post, this was the biggest waste of money in this city! It was horrible and I got off the tour feeling like I saw nothing and needed a large beverage. I have even talked to people I've met on my journey that have also been to Prague and I'm yet to find someone who says they had a good experience with the boat tours. So...stay clear! Just visit the bridge and sight see on your own.
My last suggestion for Prague is to try the traditional Czech food. I loved everything I tried! I had everything from dumplings to rajska, goulash to cabbage, ham and sausage and breads....YUM! You just can't go to a place like the Czech Republic and not try traditional foods. Delicious!
If you plan to visit Prague, and you should, I hope my tips help plan your sightseeing adventure list! Also, we stayed in a hostel that looked questionable, but was super cheap, safe, and in one of the best locations I could have imagined. Just comment me if you have any Prague questions or travel tips for others!

Sbohem!

No comments:

Post a Comment