Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Benvenuti in Italia!

Our whirlwind Prague adventure was great! I was so glad to get to see another country and have some partners in crime to explore with. On Monday we all planned to head out. The boys were off to Berlin, the girls were off to London, and I was off to Italy. Lucky for me, the girls had a car and offered to give me a lift part of my way. It saved me several hours of waiting on trains alone and I was so thankful!

I hopped in the car with them and hitched a ride to Frankfurt Airport. They were off on a plane and I took a train to the Frankfurt Hbf. When I got there I had several hours to kill in which I spent lots of time shoving off creepy beggars who, if not for the extra security walking the station, would probably have tried to mug me. I had one scary close encounter and it's not making me enjoy train stations solo!

I rode from Frankfurt to Munich where I was met by a drunken midnight crowd headed various places after Oktoberfest. My train was extra confusing to find because I only had a few minutes to catch it and it was split into several cars that would be going different directions throughout the night. Last thing you want to do is wake up in a random country you didn't intend to head to and all alone! Luckily I found my wagon and......creepy night train and I met again!

This night train wasn't too bad. Middle bunk again, 6 of us in our room. I had just one short train ride after that and in just 22 hours I was in Vicenza, Italy!

An old coworker, Tammy, whose hilarious daughter Ella was in my class in the past put me in touch with her sister who I am staying with! Cheryl met me at the train station and took me into the city. We had tea and walked around. It is beautiful here!

Tonight I tagged along with Cheryl, her husband, and their two kids to her son's school where I got to meet Mike Thaler! He's the author of The Black Lagoon Series! I read these books as a kid and I have a whole bucket of them in my classroom library. Was very cool to meet him and buy some books. I got a few autographed for my nieces and nephew. I wanted to get more, but felt guilty having him sign a million for me when I was just a guest at the school function anyway! I think stuff like that is very cool! cdddddddx (that was a word from Cheryl's cat. I think it seems important enough to keep on the blog...deep thinker, that cat. *distracted*)

Cheryl is really great! I have been so lucky with the people that have opened their homes to me on my trip so far! I really owe a lot of people a lot of thank yous, literally all over the world now!

Her husband teaches on a US Military Base here. Not going to lie....I'm tempted to apply....should I?!?! Who knows what my random little mind will end up actually doing. But I only have a few months left to decide if I am going to apply at my old district again....OR....apply overseas. I really love the idea of both. So, what will I do? This decision is hard-----anyone want to just let me retire and be a stay at home friend/daughter/girlfriend/I'm not mentioning mom, sorry :D

Next I am taking a train by myself over to Verona for the day. Cheryl will drop me at the station this morning and pick me up when I return in the evening...how lucky am I?!?!

Starting to wish I had a travel buddy. It's officially been 2 months and 2 days since I started my journey. Loving every bit of it, but gets lonely without having a homebase/resting place/constant buddies around. This backpack and I have a love-hate relationship at this point. If I don't throw some clothes out and replace them with new soon I may scream! Wearing the same 5 things every single day is a little tiresome....I don't know how cartoon characters do it!

Roaming around Italy solo starts in just a few minutes...wish me luck! Ciao!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment