Sunday, October 14, 2012

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.-Samuel Johnson

I'm right in the heart of London. The land of the most adorable accents I've ever heard. I could just listen to these people talk all day. They all sound so cute and charming, even when they are "cheesed off". (My new favorite thing to do is learn all of the British sayings.) Pretty entertaining!

Even more entertaining than the accents is the millions of things to do here in one of the most expensive cities in the world!! Man, has this stop to London put a pretty dent in my budget and I have barely even touched the tip of the "things to do" list! But, there is always something going on: always something to do or something to see. I love it! I wish I had a bigger budget while I was here, but it has still been fun to make do with what I have. The last thing I want to do is head back to Texas with no money left!

The other night Jen and I hopped on the tube and ventured out to explore a bit. She has only lived here for two months so by "explore" I mean we mostly wandered and got lost, but that's the great part about learning a new city!

We had fun climbing up on the lions in Trafalgar Square, enjoying halloumi and chorizo sandwiches on chiabatta bread while looking at the view over the Waterloo Bridge, taking pictures of the night views of the city from the bridges, seeing LOTS of random scenes in the streets, and finally finding a cute little pub to put our feet up and enjoy a drink!





Yesterday Jen and I went out to Camden Market for the afternoon. I LOVED IT! I can't remember if I went here with my parents back in high school or not, but the shopping was amazing! I wish I had more than a backpack and a tiny budget so I could have brought home some super cute British fashion! The crowd was HUGE and seeing the punk fashion was awesome!

We had lunch there.....British shawarmas ain't got nothin on Bahrain. (I know you're thinking WHY would you eat a shawarma there anyway?! And the answer is....it was that or Mexican food that when I pointed to a bowl and asked if it was queso the guy told me no, it was cheese. Or, the Chinese food that looked like it had been cooked three days ago and still was sitting there just waiting to give someone massive food poisoning.) Anyway, without breaking the bank at a restaurant there, the food selection was slim for this market. It was still nice to relax after all of the walking we had been doing!

We found many interesting people and shops in Camden Market, but probably my favorite  random store was Cyber Dog. Yes, Cyber Dog. This store was HUGE. You walk in and it's all black lights and neon, like a rave. There are dancers up high on platforms dancing to techno music. At first it was cool, all random modern kitchen items and cool gadgets. Then you walk down an escalator and you're in Rave Land. HUGE warehouse-like space with the craziest neon and plastic kinds of clothes I've ever seen! Think moon shoes a foot tall and plastic hair pieces that look like an alien head. Then, if you go downstairs again, the first thing you see are dancers on poles and, well, the store turns into a different kind of store down there. Very interesting place though. Cyber Dog was pretty funny to see. Just look at the entrance below and tell me you wouldn't be intrigued. There was even a line to get in!

Today we are heading to Buckingham Palace and other must sees while you're in London. We also have to find my bus stop somewhere off Victoria Station so I know where to go on Tuesday when I head from London to France! Then tonight, we are heading to the pub for Trivia Night where we are determined to make our little Texan team win :) Tomorrow we are seeing Les Mis and I am spending the day wandering on my own. Lots to squeeze into just two more days here!!!

Also lots to catch you up on. So many stories and pictures and adventures! Missing my family lots and sad I missed the State Fair too. But, before I know it I will be back in Texas and probably bored out of my mind! Time to really soak up the next 6 weeks that I have left!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment