Monday, November 19, 2012

Groundhog Day

Do you ever wake up and feel like you're stuck in the set of the movie "Groundhog Day"? You know, same routine-different day of the week. Wake up, eat your breakfast, go to work, come home, eat dinner, go to bed and on and on and on.

Let me tell you....being home from this adventure of a lifetime suddenly feels like I'm trapped in Groundhog Day! I just spent three and a half months facing a new adventure everyday. New places and people and excitement from the moment I woke up in the morning to the moment I finally put my head to the pillow at night.

Now I am back home and...well...it's back to the same ole, same ole! I have to say, adjusting to life back home is MUCH harder than I expected it to be! It's not the jet lag or the exhaustion that's got me feeling blah. It's missing the sheer adventure and excitement of each day. It's the people, the places, the foods, the cultures.....I may have had some rough bumps in my journey, but I LOVED every second of it. Man, do I miss it already!

Don't get me wrong, I love my home in Texas. And I was DYING for a bowl of queso, family hugs, and friendly faces I love. And I'm surprising myself with my sudden lack of interest for the place I've always boasted about. I LOVE TEXAS. I am a proud Texan through and through. There are endless reasons why I love my home. I've traveled the world before my trip, so why all of the sudden am I dying to get out of home and go on another adventure?? What was different about this trip than all of the others I've taken before?

I forced myself out of my comfort zone and made life changing decisions from the moment I decided to take my trip. I did it MYSELF and I achieved things worth being proud of. Maybe I'm just not ready to let go of that adrenaline rush.

No matter the reason, this trip has opened my mind to a whole new world of ideas and journeys I want to take in life. I'm no longer scared of the unknown. I think I've come to embrace it. I'm no longer scared of change. I think I've come to challenge it. I'm no longer content with familiar. I think I'm come to dislike it.

Who knows what will come next for me. I've been thinking of writing a book? Creating my own company? Going back on another journey? Applying to teach overseas? Or...who knows....maybe my travel road is over for now and it's back to teaching I go? Lots to think about over the next few weeks as I head back to the office and start saving up my money again. (Shout out to the train strike in France for allowing me to achieve my FIRST credit card payments.)

All I know is....right now I am currently in the hump of, as Phil says in the movie, "Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for you to figure out what you want to do...and don't forget, you have 60 years left to your life...so make it good!! Hope tomorrow can be some sort of adventure!! Look forward to seein ya :-)

    ReplyDelete