Friday, November 9, 2012

Denmark marks the spot for a return trip for sure!

One of the best spur-of-the-moment trip decisions I made was stopping into Copenhagen, Denmark for a couple of nights on my way back up to Sweden. I LOVED this city!

Adam decided to start his backpacking adventure at the time I was leaving Milan, so I got lucky and got a travel buddy for this trip! We went from Milan to Munich and only got to stay in Munich for a short night. I took him for some schnitzel, (SO GOOD), and walked around the city even though it was 11pm and rainy. I LOVED Munich so much that I didn't even care that I was exhausted and frozen, I wanted to show off this city that gave me memories of a lifetime. I wish we were there in the day so I could have seen sweet Anna and Nadine, but we had a train to Copenhagen to catch in the morning.

We spent two nights in Copenhagen. Though the hostels were again not the best places I've stayed, the city completely captivated my attention.

I had the most delicious traditional Danish meal I could have imagined! The receptionist at the hostel recommended a cafe to eat at. It was so good that I think I need to give it its own blog. However, I'll cheat and tell you that this cafe is so old Hans Christian Anderson used to eat there. I had roast beef on rye bread with lettuce, a friend egg, and cucumbers on top. OH EM GEE AMAZING!!!
After that, I knew I was going to fall in love with Denmark. Adam and I got a map from the hostel as well that showed a great route to walk the city and see all of the sites. Even though it was very cold outside, we decided that would be better than joining a tour or taking the bus. Turned out that this was the best decision. We saw SO MUCH in just one day!
If you love beautiful places, rich history, stunning views, great food, nice people.....well, go to Denmark!
After our walking tour, which took all day, we stopped in a little pub for a warm drink. They had a sign for a drink called Glogg. We asked the bartender what Glogg was and as he told us, he let us sample it. YUM!! It is a delicious hot Danish drink that warms you right up from the cold! They served it with little ginger cookies. It was so delicious I could have sat by a fire drinking that all day. But, considering just some of the ingredients include red wine, port wine, and schnapps...I opted for just the one glass. I would love to try to make this for a cold holiday night at home!! I looked this up online and asked my Danish friend about it and it is a traditional drink during the Christmas season. One more thing to add to my recipe book!
Next up for our day in Copenhagen was also awesome! Remember the Danish guys that I met at Oktoberfest? The ones we played Uno with and ended up having a ball? Well, I facebooked them and told them I would be in Copenhagen so they met up with Adam and me. First we met them at a pub where we watched a soccer, excuse me, football, game. Was really fun! Then, they took us for a bite to eat, (at my starving request!), and then to one of their favorite bars. We had a great time and it was so fun to see them again! I hope someday they come to Texas so I can get a turn being a hostess to someone who has never been to my country. It is so fun to see and experience things the "locals" do rather than just your typical tourist attractions. I have been so blessed and so lucky to meet so many generous and welcoming friends along my journey!!
I will have to write another blog and take you through my tour of Copenhagen. This country is definitely on my list of places I plan to come back to and spend more time! If you're considering Denmark, keep in mind that like many places in Northern Europe, it is pricey if you're on a budget. Average meal was about $20-$30, average drink $10, average hostel $50....and that was me choosing things according to a budget. Adds up quickly but SO.WORTH.IT!!!

Jeg elskede den smukke by København!



 

4 comments:

  1. So cool! I love the pictures and need to try that Glogg stuff. I wonder if it's close to mulled wine? I can make the heck outta that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! I found tons of Glogg recipes...all slightly different. Also tons of bottles of it pre-mixed in stores here. You just throw it on the stove/in a crock pot and add berries, nuts, or fruits to your liking, (if you don't make it homemade). I'm definitely experimenting with it over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is magnificent how you have managed to totally expose the topic which you have picked for this peculiar blog entry of yours. By the way did you use any similar posts as an inspiration to complete the whole picture which you have revealed in your blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! To be honest, I have not spent much time reading other blogs or looking for inspiration....it has all come straight from the pure excitement of my journey! I have so much to catch up on!! Time to get back to the blogging world and share more adventures with my readers! Thanks for the sweet comment; THAT is inspiration to keep writing ;)

      Delete